Monday, October 27, 2014

The Butcher's Daughter: Now We Know

A group of us have been wanting to try The Butcher's Daughter for a while now; this weekend our schedules aligned to make it happen.


There's a significant amount of seating outside, so we had no problem getting a table with 89 in tow.  Unfortunately, our table was picnic style, which proved so uncomfortable over the course of the meal that I'm sure it was a decision based on increased customer turnover rather than aesthetic.


The menu states that it's all vegetarian, but there is no clear indication of what is vegan or veganizable.  We asked the waiter for some guidance and he explained that he was new and filling in for someone, so he just didn't know.  Really.  That was it; he made no move to find out.  So, after a short, uncomfortable silence, my friend said, "Well, we're all vegan, so we can't order until we know what's vegan," and he disappeared for about ten years.  I mean, minutes.


When he returned, he told us that everything on the menu was vegan (presumably including the deviled eggs) except for three things: one of which he claimed was the kale salad.  He left again when this declaration was met with four sets of perplexed and incredulous eyes staring back at him.  We were able to flag down another waiter who explained that everything on the menu really was vegan save three things, but that the kale salad clearly was; the eggs obviously weren't.  It never ceases to amaze me how much more difficult it can be to acquire vegan food from a vegetarian restaurant than an omnivorous one. When our waiter returned we finally ordered, but 89 had already had it (I was thisclose).


We were all excited to try the spinach artichoke crock: layers of artichoke, spinach, cashew ricotta & parmesan baked and served with toasted baguette.  But instead of the creamy, cheesy dip we were expecting, it was a sad representation of the non-vegan original.  The small ramekin contained lukewarm wilted spinach and quartered artichoke hearts right from a jar, mixed sparingly with tasteless vegan cheese specks with partially melted cheese shreds atop.


We also ordered a side of the crispy cauliflower to share.


While that was significantly tastier, what it lacked in crispiness (none), it made up for in oiliness (lots).


One friend ordered The Butcher's Burger: vegetable-black bean burger, cashew cheddar, bibb lettuce, tomatoes, pickles & special sauce served on brioche bun with roasted potato wedges and harissa mayo. She subbed sautéed (oily) spinach for the potatoes, but there was no lettuce…no pickles.  We also collectively thought the cheese was Daiya (UPDATE 10/30/14: if you look at this review from March 14 you'll see that what we had was DEFINITELY not cashew cheese, which would have made the price more appropriate).


On top of all that, the burger was obviously fried in oil so that it was crisp as a hockey puck on the outside, yet oozed oil when you pressed on it.  Are you noticing a theme?


From the moment we were seated I knew I was going to order the pulled pork BBQ sandwich: shredded portabello mushrooms marinated in house-smoked BBQ sauce with coleslaw on a brioche bun, served with pickles & potato wedges.  The Butcher's Daughter, however, had other ideas; they were "out."  I wished I was as well.

Instead, I went with the most popular order of the table: spicy kale caesar salad: baby kale, avocado, almond parmesan, toasted almonds, crispy shallots & 7-grain croutons with added tempeh.  It doesn't matter to me, as I like the mature variety better anyway, but the kale was not "baby."  The salad was small overall: consisting of about two, untorn, destemmed leaves of curly kale that prompted a friend to note: "I'd better cut this kale, otherwise I'll have the whole salad in one forkful."  The half of an avocado was perfection; I'll give them that.  I also really enjoyed the dressing, which was only spicy for a half of a second (and didn't need to be at all).  I'll even concede that the toasted almonds added a nice crunch along with the croutons.  However, the "crispy" shallots were cool and oil-logged and the tempeh was flavorless: seemingly un-marinated and inexplicably flash-fried.  The meal was over and I was dissatisfied in every respect.


For dessert, The Butcher's Daughter offers a selection of vegan ice creams: banana-walnut, chocolate, salted caramel, and even a vegan ice cream sandwich.  Our alternate waiter was able to tell us that it was all Van Leeuwen, which I've never tried.  Alas, they were out of it.  All of it.  Nary a sandwich or scoop left.  Another theme.

Before bringing us the check, our official waiter deposited three bottles of elixir on our table; only one was labeled.  We consulted with our alternate waiter again; he informed us that it was a gift, but that he had to swap out two of the bottles because they contained honey- which our original waiter didn't understand was unsuitable for vegans.  If that doesn't give you a warm, fuzzy feeling at the end of an altogether questionably vegan meal, I don't know what does.


We'd really been looking forward to this meal and I was inordinately hungry in preparation.  The fact that it was so disappointing was unfortunate; we will not return.  But, as a friend wisely intonated, "now we know."


Come on, New York; you can do better.

19 comments:

  1. After seeing the prices for the fresh squeezed juices, I knew this place is more for yuppies than health-conscious (who loves to cook) patrons. I would've asked for a new dish for all those oily elements. Next time, you should check out Wild Ginger and Siggy's, which are just a stone throw away. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, in hindset the prices of everything were laughable considering the caliber of the food & service. I always forget Siggy's!

      Delete
    2. I've been wanting to try Siggys for the longest!

      Delete
  2. Wow, that was a waste of some mastication.Still, I hope the company made up for it. That cauliflower in particular makes me very sad. How can you mess up cauliflower?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It was typical: let's add oil for flavor fare. Yawn.

      Delete
  3. and that was one place i had in mind to check out should i ever haul my *ss to NYC again. speaking of *sses, you sure tore them a new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny because my friends always assume it was even worse than I let on! I think it was an all-encompassing, fair review. When you're ready to visit, you're fellow bloggers will put together a comprehensive list of what is not to be missed & what is!

      Delete
  4. Does the Butcher only carry oil in his kitchen?! His poor daughter, and her arteries! As your title says - now you know! How frustrating...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. You're an all veg restaurant and you can't even do the ubiquitous burger right? For shame!

      Delete
  5. After doing a bucket load of research on bakeries through NYC and Philadelphia I question those rolls being vegan. Could be the burger is vegan but I vote no on the roll. Since I'm never in the EV after 4 I usually get ice cream at Van Leeuwen on 7th. It's very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny because one friend said that she hates the VL!

      Delete
    2. I like it. It's not #tbicsitu but it works. Ice cream eating is over until next May.

      Delete
  6. Yeah, I'm not buying the vegan brioche.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even thought of that. You know, tending to believe vegetarians when they tell me something is vegan...

      Delete
  7. Hey Bean,

    Sorta glad I haven't tried this place, certainly doesn't seem like my type of place... Which is disappointing espcially after reading Choosing Raw's review: http://www.choosingraw.com/the-butchers-daughter-nyc/

    Almost seems like two completely different places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA; you DEFINITELY would not have been amused! Reading older reviews definitely makes it seems like something drastic has gone wrong in the last 10 months or so.

      Delete
  8. I didn't want to add to your misery... But I too doubt the brioche were vegan. Only Chickpea and Olive make vegan brioche, that I know of. So if this dubious establishment is making them, they need to fire their publicist, because that is HUGE and they should tell the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging by the experience, I'm thinking they don't care that much and, therefore, the buns probably are not vegan. Guess it was kismet that they were out of the "pulled pork." Terri rules on that front anyway. With no pretense!

      Delete
  9. that spinach and artichoke crock....holy camoley!

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)