Sunday, April 8, 2012

Tradition is Key

You might recall that this past Valentine's day, instead of chocolate, my enablers parents inexplicably gifted me an abundance of marshmallows, biscotti, and various other non-Valentine-related paraphernalia; thank you for being too polite to mention it.


Here's the thing.  I have nothing against marshmallows; I love them, in fact.  But even when dipped in chocolate, they are not chocolates.  And Valentine's Day is nothing if not an excuse to eat chocolates for 3 days straight*.


But somehow my parents were confused.  Besides the absence of chocolate, the delicious, marshmallowy goods were presented in a basket and appeared in my house seemingly independent of human intervention.  Do you see where I'm going with this?  They (or the bunny) had somehow confused Valentine's Day with Easter!


You can see how this would happen, as both celebrations are centered around sugar (and some other stuff).


Regardless of the reason, the bottom line is that despite my otherwise decadent sugar extravaganza on Valentine's Day, I sorely missed having an actual chocolate selection to gorge upon; it was clear I had to take matters into my own hands.  And by "take matters into my own hands" I mean I whined, complained, and offered an exhaustive a compelling Powerpoint presentation with regard to all the reasons why a ginormous box of chocolate should have been part of my Valentine's Day booty (you'll note I wasn't offering to exchange the Sweet and Sara).


As their punishment for the misstep, I did everything I could to ensure that I received actual chocolates for Easter.


Obviously talking about chocolate for the entire month preceding Valentine's didn't work ("I wonder if Vegan Treats will have twix again this year?" and "Did you happen to get the sale email from Rose City?"), so what I resorted to was to call Bobby's in their presence, well in advance of Easter, to confirm the vegan chocolate availability.  Because I wouldn't be so gauche as to go with them to dictate supervise the purchase, I photocopied and posted made available the listing of my favorite candies.  They begged offered to just give me their credit card and make let me go myself, but what fun would that have been?


They came through with flying colors.


Besides the extraordinary bunnies (vegan, chocolate bunnies FTW!)  there was, of course, a personalized assortment.

mint, hazelnut, cherry, cacao, vanilla, cointreau, and peanut butter

So generous; really, you should have!

peanut butter, hazelnut, hazelnut, nut cluster, coconut, cointreau

*Per usual, we munched on our traditional toasted coconut-covered marshmallows for our Passover dessert, which I hope were not only enjoyed, but served as a reminder that tradition is key.

5 comments:

  1. So happy you're happy!! VM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adopt me, VM? I'm quiet and clean and I cook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby,

    Three things:

    1) I think you missed a tiny dot of what was once, bunny chocolate. (not sure if it was the father or child bunny)

    2) I'm requesting you save me a peanut butter peanut from one of your chocolate boxes. (that's if you didn't get to them already....)

    3) (major) :@

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your parents sound too good to be true! You are one lucky chocoholic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. VM- Does that mean you're giving me chocolates every month?

    Melissa- You're lucky I even posted your comment; she's taken! Also, I'm loud, messy, and lazy so I don't want you to trump me.

    MVG- OMG, I almost licked that crumb! But, give me some credit; I ate the little bunny first. However, the box is history; it's one layer per day and 2 days have passed! You should have placed your order sooner- with me or VM!

    Andrea- Truly. Hard to believe VM is the same person who tried to instill the two-cookie rule in me when I was a kid. Easier to believe that she introduced me to the king-sized Snickers!

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)