Sunday, October 9, 2011

Vegan MoFo Day 9: Raw Zucchini Spaghetti with Pepper Marinara

No breakfast or lunch yesterday (Yom Kippur), but an epic dinner:


With lots of peppers left over from last week's supermarket haul, I recalled a raw marinara sauce that I'd learned from a class with Rochelle Blank and I got to chopping. 


I peeled my zucchini,


pruned my basil plant,


and finally unwrapped my SPIRALIZER!


This thing is so cool that you can probably feel the chill from wherever you are.  In seconds I had zucchini spaghetti!


One sheet of directions with pictures, no learning curve, awesome results.


I whirred up the raw marinara in two simple Magic Bullet batches.

Raw Zucchini Spaghetti with Red Pepper Marinara

serves 3

5 small zucchini, spiralized
2 1/2 cups chopped sweet pepper, divided (1/2 cup is for garnish)
1/2 red onion, chopped (save a few pieces for garnish)
handful of fresh basil leaves
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup EVOO
few squirts of Bragg's
1 tsp lemon juice
few shakes of oregano
few shakes of thyme
lots of freshly ground pepper

Set 1/2 cup chopped pepper and a sprinkling of chopped onion aside, then combine all ingredients except the zucchini in the Magic Bullet.  Plate and enjoy immediately (why wouldn't you?).

before                                                after
Plated with panache.


But wait, there's more (I like infomercials)!  Leftover asparagus in the fridge = edible garnish.


In case you're wondering, those sticks in the background (above) are the spiralizer "leftovers", but they're edible.


Although I must admit I didn't eat them.  Too weird.  Out for the rabbits!


This is what it looked like all mixed up and ready to be eaten. It was DELICIOUS!  Soft with a crunch and definitely the mouth feel of spaghetti; I can't wait to try more raw sauces and spiralize just about everything.


I can't recommend a spiralizer enough; this is the most fun I've had since starting the cleanse.

Spiralizer: 1
Juicer: -3

9 comments:

  1. Yes! I love my spiralizer too. I've only made zucchini thus far but I hear it works with a lot of veg. I want to try beets and carrots. Your raw marina looks way better than mine I made recently. Way too chunky. Rage on!
    BTW, what are the chances of your continuing to use the juicer and spiralizer post cleanse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome, made me hungry, I will be giving it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FF, I can definitely see myself using the spiralizer for a host of reasons, but I think I'll use the juicer only because I feel guilty for having purchased it. You know what will solve both problems? Watermelon vodka juices!

    Erica,
    I really impressed myself with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby,

    I hate to quote Joey Lawrence here, "WHOA" The spiral vegetable slicer looks incredible. It's a must have for my kitchen collection.

    PS, lost the lemon juice and get yourself a real lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now, you're talking. Told you so (about the spiralizer!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea, I love it! My new shopping list: anything that can be spiralized.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MVG, I can't catch a break! Extra credit for the Blossom reference, though. Spiralizer > juicer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bean looks super great!!! For the record I am jealous of your spiralizer and feel that I should comment on beautiful your pictures have been lately!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Anon- thanks! You can pick up a spiralizer for not a lot of $$; do it! And wait until I have my Iphone to take even better pics ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)