Thursday, October 20, 2011

Vegan MoFo Day 20: Deconstructed Taco

Let's work our way backwards through yesterday's eats, shall we?  I was going to make yet another a salad (zzz) for dinner until a friend told me he was making red curry.  Red curry.  Red curry!?!?  I couldn't take that lying down.  I figured my favorite Thai restaurant wasn't exactly cleanse-friendly, but I thought that just maybe I could swing a Chipotle meal?  Hmm, I'd have to do the salad, no rice.  But then wouldn't I be missing the point?  On second thought, I decided that maybe I could try something similar at home.  Thoughts of my peanut avocado unroll brought me to this.


Why yes, that is a Mexican-inspired salad within an avocado half boat; how nice of you to notice! 

Sometimes you feel like a taco.  Sometimes you can't.
serves 2

1 avocado, halved (slice the bottoms so they're flat)
1 avocado, cubed
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn, rinsed and drained
1 tomato, diced
1/2 medium red onion, diced
2 small jalapenos, minced
1/4 cup lime juice
sea salt to taste

mix all ingredients and serve in and around halved avo

my last 2 Topsy Turvy jalapenos of the year- good & hot

While I did miss the tortilla, this was one of my favorite meals of the cleanse besides my zucchini spaghetti.  It looked good, smelled good, was good.  Success!  (I would like extra credit for resisting the urge to make a side of cornbread.)

For lunch there was the purple kale salad with cucumbers and green goddess dressing I'd made the night before.  Yep, more cucumbers.  I can barely stand it!  Moreover, is there such a thing as skunk kale?  Because this is the second batch of purple that has been less than stellar and kinda weedy.  If I can't enjoy my kale salad, what do I have left!?

Do you know what the problem with eating cucumbers for breakfast is?  You become grossly full...of cucumber.  It might take 2 cucumbers to make just 1/4 cup of juice, but it takes eating only one, large one to be nauseatingly full of it.  Cuke, that is.


In case anyone is keeping track, today I found myself thinking of Mighty O donuts, thanks to this post.  I have extremely fond memories of my Don King from Portland and began planning a trip straight to the source- Seattle, around mid-afternoon.

Also, it should be illegal for people to toast bread at work; that aroma is intoxicating.  That is all.

7 comments:

  1. keep up the good work bean! The no-taco meal looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how is the exercise coming? Do you think you've internalized any of these new practices and will stick to them after the 21 days ends?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicous! Avocado with beans, what's not to love?

    -A

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make something very similar to your deconstucted taco, only with no jalapeno but plenty of black pepper. Surprisingly filling with the black beans!

    And since I've stopped eating flour and added sugar, I've actually dreamed of eating chocolate chip cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Ant; that's high praise!

    Anon- exercise is sporadic, but I will try to keep it up since the diet won't stick around.

    VeggieMonster- TY & great name!

    Kimberly- I think a dream would put me over the edge. Have you tried any raw cookie recipes? Would raw cookie dough count? JK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abby,

    Very funny post. I'm cracking up at my desk as I'm forced to stay late tonight.

    1) My Red Curry was great! But I didn't like the natural coconut milk I used. Whole Foods was sold out of 365 and Thai Kitchen light.

    2) Your Mexican-inspired salad looks really great minus the black bean. What’s wrong with your family?!? It's red all the way!

    3) Stop using purple kale! You know, I know, and everyone else knows, green kale is the best as it comes! Purple only fits Barney the dinosaur, not kale!

    4)Cucumbers are gross! No matter raw, in a salad, or even in a VitaMix, they're gross. You may as well drink dirty water.

    Mighty O is where it's at. Let's go!

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)