Saturday, June 25, 2011

Seemingly Endless Tempeh Salad Variations

Christine Waltermyer from the Natural Kitchen Cooking School introduced me to tempeh salad and I've been loving it ever since.  Now that I have her cookbook, The Natural Vegan Kitchen, I've been making it even more often and with lots of variations.


No offense to the original version intended, but I am very lazy busy; I don't always have the patience time it takes to follow recipes exactly as written.  So, this is how I've simplified my tempeh salad into a weeknight meal:

Abby Bean's No-Frills Tempeh Salad
(serves 4)

  • Crumble 8oz tempeh into a medium saucepan with 2/3 cup water.

  • Mix 2 tbsp dijon mustard, 1 tsp white miso, 2 tbsp lemon juice, and pour over tempeh; mix.


  • Bring to a boil, then lower to simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
  • Remove cover, mix, and simmer until water evaporates: stirring occasionally.
  • Let cool completely (overnight in the fridge works, but I've been known to speed things up in the freezer) before dressing.

before
Now for the dressing variations (note that I like mine FULL of crunchy bits):

after
 Tempeh Salad Frill Options

Curry salad:
Mix 1/2 tsp curry, 1/4 tsp cayenne (or more), and 1/4 tsp turmeric into 2/3 cup mayo before coating tempeh.
Add 1/2 cup almonds, 1/2 cup raisins, and salt to taste.  Add 3/4 cup diced apples if you feel like it; I hate apples and this didn't kill me.


Egg salad:
Mix 1/2 tsp black salt into 2/3 cup mayo before coating tempeh.  Add 1/4 tsp turmeric too if you need it to be yellow.  Add 1/4 cup relish, 1 cup chopped onions, 1 1/2 cup chopped celery, and black pepper to taste.


Tuna salad:
Mix 1 tbsp furikake into 2/3 cup mayo before coating tempeh.  Add 1 cup chopped onions, 1 1/2 cup chopped celery.

Dill:
Mix 1 tsp dill weed into 2/3 cup mayo before coating tempeh.  Add 1 cup chopped onions, and 1 1/2 cup chopped celery .

Ume Plum:
Sub ume plum vinegar for lemon juice.  After mayo, add 1/2 minced plum, 1 1/2 cup chopped celery.


You can pretty much mix anything- within reason- into tempeh salad.  Once you get the hang of it, it's a great way to clean out leftovers from your fridge for a cool, summertime meal.

2 comments:

  1. I have the cookbook, too, but have never made her version of tempeh salad — too many of my own versions to get past. I love relish in tempeh salad, and smoked paprika!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made it and it was delicious! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)